I am a member of one of the blogs in MyBlogLog and it seems that this video is always on my top 10 list being viewed by many people. I got curious one day and tried to find out what it was all about. It was actually an experiment about human perception. It’s called perceptual blindness. How we view things vary from one person to the next and we all know that. What’s interesting about this experiment is that you get surprised about what you see and do not see when you watch the video.
Before you watch the video, please take note of these instructions and follow them strictly.
- While watching the following video, ignore the team in black – they are trying to confuse the situation. Count only the number of passes made by the team in white t-shirts.
- When you are done, click the back button to return to this page with the answers and follow up discussion.
- Alright, go Watch the Video by clicking here
Do not be reading below this point if you haven’t yet watched the video…
Well, how did you do? Did you concentrate?
- How many times was the basketball passed among the members of the white team?
- Were you also able to count the number of passes among the black team? That’s okay, you weren’t asked to.
- Did you see anything else in the video, perhaps a cat, small lizard, or a gorilla?
Hahaha! Did you or did you not see the gorilla? If you did, what did the gorilla do?
I counted the number of times the ball was passed and I counted 14. How many did you see?
Sometimes, we pay attention to things that we deem important and we filter out the rest. Pretty interesting study huh? I thought I’d share it with you.
Here’s the original research findings document.