I admit, I don’t know Leni Robredo. She had not been a visible candidate for me for anything. I didn’t know her until the untimely death of Secretary Jesse Robredo. And I only know a few things about Sec. Jesse Robredo through the eyes of then-Sen. Kiko Pangilinan. I knew that Senator Kiko had much respect for Jesse and I have respect for Sen. Kiko so his admiration for Jesse Robredo carries over with me. But if you ask me what they have done, I would say – “I don’t know.”
However, the interview that she gave on CNN Asia impressed me. If I look her up on the web, there’s very little information about her. So, what gives me the reason to vote for someone whom I do not know? I guess that is why she is on the campaign trail. To allow people to get to know her and get to know her well.
- She is a graduate of UP Diliman with a major in Economics
- She was a lawyer who worked with the farmers, urban poor and the marginalized
- Her platform for Freedom of Information Act
- She is all about empowerment
- Filed House Bill 6245 to combat “Tanim Bala Scam” and protect citizens and foreigners alike
- She has the charisma.
- She could win the hearts of the masses.
- She is basically unknown.
- She has no political experience except for the office that she holds as Congressman in the 3rd Congressional District and chairpersonof liberal party of Camarines Sur.
- Her poll results are very low. (due to being unknown and inexperienced)
- She could be viewed as “Cory-like” which to some is not very strong politically.
The list is very short as you can see. Therefore, my suggestion is for her to be vigilant in the campaign trail. Be visible during the important campaign months. If she has to appear on several TV shows like Showtime or KrisTV – so be it. She needs to be identified as a real contender in the VP race. If she has to go against well-known candidates such as Sen. Bong Bong Marcos or Francis “Chiz” Escudero.
So, what is your take? Do you have enough confidence in Leni Robredo to vote for her in 2016?